Punjab Assembly Election 2017 is over and Congress has won a comfortable majority, defeating the Akali Dal-BJP alliance and the AAP. Here is collection of election fact, figures , claim, statements, news and stories of local assembly election 2017
- Final Results Total Punjab Seats (117/117)*SAD-BJP – 18
CONG – 77
AAP – 22
Others – 0
- After winning Lambi seat with a margin of 22770, Parkash Singh Badal said that Congress’s big pehalwaan ( Amarinder) couldn’t defeat him from Lambi, though he got majority in the state
- Statement by Sukhbir Badal before counting start that “On March 11— the counting day, the AAP will be restricted to 11 seats, while the Congress will do a bit better than the AAP, but no one will reach even near the tally of SAD. I am 100% sure of victory”. The results are before you now.
- Sukhbir Singh Badal won from Jalalabad seat today, defeating AAP candidate Bhagwant Mann by 18,500 votes.Sukhbir, who is the President of the Shiromani Akali Dal, polled 75,271 votes while AAP leader Bhagwant Mann got 56,771 votes.Congress candidate Ravneet Singh Bittu got 31,539 votes.
- The tricolour balloons and AR Rahman’s “Jai Ho” blaring on loudspeakers outside chief Arvind Kejriwal’s home in Delhi vanished two hours into the counting of votes for five states including Punjab and Goa, where AAP had anticipated victories. AAP workers were seen dumping brooms – the party’s symbol – into the backseat of a car.
- There are 1,145 candidates contesting the elections this year. However, there are only 81 female candidates, just 7 per cent of the total. There is one candidate from the third gender.
- Two sitting MP’s Ravneet Singh Bittu of Congress and Bhagwant Mann of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) lost before SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal from the Jalalabad seat. Sukhbir Singh Badal is still favorite among Jalalabad voters.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi called on phone to Amarinder Singh and congratulated and assured him central support for progress of Punjab.
- Captain Amarinder Singh statement “The people of Punjab have given me two bonus seats on my 75th birthday”
- Congress candidate Navjot Singh Sidhu has won the Amritsar East seat, defeating nearest rival BJP candidate Rajesh Kumar Honey by 42,809 votes. The cricketer-turned-politician, who joined Congress this year, polled 60,477 votes while Honey got just 17,668 votes. AAP candidate Sarabjot Singh managed to get just 14,715 votes.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu latest statement on Punjab elections “The people taught a lesson to the devils. Punjab should limp back as it was looted by dacoits and thieves. Why Badals were defeated is that they treated politics as business. I consider it as a medium to change the fate of Punjab that’s why I am able to stand with dignity,”
- Outgoing Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal accepted defeat and said he will resign on Sunday.
- Outgoing Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, 89, the oldest Chief Minister in the country, said: “I am grateful to the people of Punjab for giving me an opportunity to serve them. I am fully satisfied with all the things I was able to do. I seek forgiveness for any mistakes.”
- Captain Amarinder Singh quote “The AAP bubble has burst with the outright rejection by the Punjab voters,”
- Captain Amarinder Singh today promised to wipe out the drug menace from the state in four weeks after his party forms a government in the state.
- AAP candidate and party’s Punjab incharge Gurpreet Singh Ghuggi was at the third spot with 34,302 votes and SAD candidate Lakhbir Singh Lodhinangal won from Batala seat as he defeated sitting MLA and congress candidate Ashwani Sekhri by just 485 votes. Lodhinangal polled 42,517 votes while Sekhri got 42,032 votes.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu statement “I promise to Sonia Gandhi that we will sacrifice anything to restore the glory of Punjab,” and “Congress’s identity and its Pagdi (honour)”, he touched his own bright yellow pagdi or turban. and “Arvind Kejriwal lost because his niyat (intention) was not pure. He wanted everything for himself,”
Few Tweets On Punjab Election
Congress is forming Govt in Punjab! But to bring real change & bring back smiles on faces of people of Punjab let’s aim for 2/3rd majority.
— Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) January 30, 2017
— Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) March 11, 2017